Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sauerkraut

It's time to can the sauerkraut again. Exactly 6 weeks after the weighing, shredding, salting and pounding of the cabbage into the crocks, we wash the jars, heat the lids and process the fresh kraut. People say it's the best they've eaten.

There is something about making your own. When I sit down to a plate of pork roast and MY sauerkraut, there is a deep satisfaction in each bite. It's being a part of a life cycle.

I only wish I had realized this when I was younger. Growing and cooking my own food, making my clothing and that of my family, creating my decorative items and knitting my gifts are so completely fulfilling. They feel so much better. It tastes so much better. Gifts are so much more meaningful as they are created specifically with the loved one in mind. I certainly would have spent more time in my twenties and thirties creating rather than trying to be an acceptable woman in mainstream evangelical circles.

There is nothing wrong with mainstream evangelical circles. It is just that I was trying to be someone I am not. I tried to look the part and play the part. Grateful is all I feel for the fact that I found out the truth about myself before my life is over. My heart is certainly more peaceful since I started living more truthfully.

Now, if I could only learn to be consistent with an orderly home, my life would be complete!!!!

7 comments:

Kristin B said...

love the last line.............do you need some help?

Unknown said...

It is wonderful at our age to "find" ourselves and really like who we found!!

nateinbg said...

save a jar for me!

it gives me great pleasure to hear that my mother feels she has found herself.

despite the distractions of the other things that may have been going on in your life, you've always had a home-made quality about the things you do in life. many of my fondest memories involve your cooking or your sewing or your music...all things that you yourself made and something that can't be bought.

Robin said...

...living more truthfully. I'm going to keep that phrase with me for a few days. You write beautifully.

Ray said...

Mom as I have read your last four blogs I feel like I am watching an episode from the Waltons, learning life lessons from the trivial everyday tasks I really enjoyed your sauerkraut example. As I contemplate what you have written I think about my life , and our lives as a family; interwoven; creating a family Mosaic over time. I think we will all learn and grow through this process. look forward to your next blog.

Bethany said...

Mom, I agree with Nathan that many of my favorite childhood memories include your homemades-my favorite dresses, favorite times spent in the kitchen, and around the piano at Christmas.
Thank you for these moments!

Unknown said...

I have a jar of that sauerkraut. It feels too valuable to open. I LOVE sauerkraut!!